Tuesday 21 April 2009

Editing an Interview


Over the past two weeks I have been working at the Money Race edit. This has been surprisingly time consuming. It has certainly been a learning opportunity as our inexperience in filming face to face interviews has thrown up a few problems for me.

Whilst reviewing the footage, it became apparent that we needed to make the film informative and also interesting to view. This meant using a variety of cut away shots of Hannah, the interviewer, the interviewees.
The first difficulty I had to overcome was the lack of cutaways in response to both Rob and Don’s answers. The second difficulty lay in the fact that we did not have enough cut aways of posed questions to the interviewee. This meant that I had to use a more creative way of editing using more archive footage to lay over the posed questions. Despite this, I think that the use of archive footage looks great within the interview and reinforces the questions in a creative way hopefully keeping the audience interested.

I have learnt that preparing questions for an interview is very important. Reviewing the footage more closely I noticed that my research into Don Foster’s career was very beneficial for the interview. I also noticed in his facial response and body language to our interest in his involvement with the warm front scheme, education ministerial career and comments about the BBC provoked a pleasing response from him and proved that I had done my homework!

No comments:

Post a Comment