Sunday 19 October 2008

Meeting Andy Netley, Editor for the BBC Amazon series - Friday 10th October


After starting the day off with a harsh lesson in dos and don’ts about plagiarism and the Harvard referencing system, we took a well earned break to talk about it. After lunch we joined Susan’s lecture which involved meeting one of the editors for the new BBC series, Amazon. Andy Netley edited the fourth programme in the series based on the people around Mamiraua nature reserve. I was very excited as I love editing and it was one of my favourite programmes so I wanted to ask him some suitable questions related to the process of editing.
I can imagine that a whole class of eager media students throwing questions at you can be very nerve-racking but Andy did well answering all the questions in depth giving us a good truthful insight into the work of an editor. I asked a couple of questions such as
“How do you work with Bruce to produce the extra audio/commentary?”
He replied that most of the material is written and he works with the bruce to produce the post production commentary. He also said that Bruce often adds his viewpoints to the written material not entirely sticking to the script.
The overall vibe I got from the interview was that his job as an editor was very complex. As an editor you have to be open minded to a wide range of music, have a good understanding of how to structure and tell a story and ultimately becoming a perfectionist. Not to mention the fact that they have to squeeze days of footage into a single programme that runs for a measly hour can be a daunting and mammoth task.
I tip my cap to you fine sir.

Andy Netley on IMDb here
Watch the Amazon here

No comments:

Post a Comment